Philippians 1:11

"Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:11

16 December 2015

Day 14

Elijah asked the people how long they would waver between two opinions - "If the Lord be God, follow Him!" (I Kings 18:21) Like a person limping on two wooden crutches, they were unstable, uncommitted. "It's our wavering between gods that has us sinking."* 

Elijah's query echos over the distractions of today, beckoning me to search my heart for who or what I am worshipping. The god of things? Of success? Of accomplishments? Of affirmation? Or the one, true God who offers us freely what all other gods pressure us to perform for. 

O come - let us let go of everything today - and let us adore only Him.

The journal continues...


Learned about Timothy today. Paul said, 'All seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's' (Philippians 2:21) to contrast how Timothy was not like the norm, but served with Paul in the gospel. Timothy is said to have 'unfeigned faith' which he learned from his mother. (II Timothy 1:5) 'Unfeigned' means sincere or genuine. He was a real Christian with real faith, living for Christ and the gospel rather than seeking his own way and selfish desires...
And, he learned all this from his MOTHER!!! - who also had real faith. Do I have real faith? Am I teaching my children by my life what is means to live for Christ and the gospel? Or, is God just another one of my many interests in life? Yes, I love God and find great excitement in Him, but I also find great delight in a good Hallmark movie or a cup of earl grey or a night with Steve, a hug from my kids - what sets God apart in my life - what makes Him the most real 'thing' in my life? 
It is only REAL faith that will lead my children to genuine Christianity.

My Dare:
To give this day (and hopefully every day after) to God...to live it for Him. Not for praise or self-satisfaction or for sheer need - but as an offering to Him. There will be no room for pride, selfishness, complaining, self-pity, arguing, discouragement, worry or fear. Faith, real faith, will fill up my entire being (and day) and leave room for only God to rule as I trust, depend, abide - and demonstrate to my children, a faith that works.
'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.' II Timothy 1:7 

Throughout this dare, we have not chosen the easy, familiar road. We are starting to hike trails that have become overgrown and long forgotten in our modern day, busy world. Join me tomorrow, as we look past the brier bushes in our path to the Light shining through...a hope-filled promise of life and freedom.





* Ann Voskamp, The Greatest Gift 

5 comments:

  1. Ok,so I think it finally worked to comment if I get Jolene's approval too. I am also following a different Dare so I have a lot to watch in my actions :) but having a plan for each day keeps me much more aware of my words and actions, I have never tried something like this before. I always tried a long term plan that would become unfocused as the days go by. Jolene, this is very inspiring and very hard....that just shows how much I need to improve haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Ami! I always have these big plans for how I want our home to be, but somehow it is quickly lost in the routine and whirlwind of the day. Thus, this dare! I was tired of seeing days go by that were not lived fully.

      I found these dares difficult too. So many of the days I failed. But, the beauty of the gospel—that Christ gave His life and accomplished for us what we could not do for ourselves—teaches us that our hope is not in ourselves. It is in God. The more we depend on Him, the less we will struggle!

      Praying for you, dear friend!

      Delete
  2. I just saw this. Thank you Jolene :). I feel it gets even harder while the Christmas approaches. So many things I still have to do, I lose my patience easier but since a few days ago I have a persistent thought that pulled me peacefully through a few rough tries already: every time I feel I lose my best self I think " I want to find you Jesus, where are you and what would you do?". I was amazed that I actually remembered and was able to look for Him right when I was very lost in my heart and actions :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so encouraging, Ami! Looking past the troubles and stresses of the day and to Christ is what strengthens me too! I love the verse, Isaiah 23:6 which says, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee because he trusteth in Thee." Have a Merry Christmas, Friend!

      Delete
    2. That verse is actually Isaiah 26:3!

      Delete