Philippians 1:11

"Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:11

12 December 2015

Day 11

The Bible only mentions two women in the heroes' hall of faith. First, there is Sarah. Naturally. But then, right there also beside Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, Moses, and Noah is Rahab: "By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace" (Hebrews 11:31). 

We often set our eyes on that one woman we admire and wish we could be her. Our life, but her personality, her grace, her _________ you fill in the blank. But, here in the example of Rahab, we see God using the unlikely, the undesirable, the sinner. We see that God does not measure based on perfection, beauty, achievement, but rather according to our faith. "Great faith is the greatest equalizer, the greatest eraser, and the greatest definer."* 

You see, God does not want something beautiful. He wants to make something beautiful. But, He can only do that with the heart that has real faith - faith that is alive, active in obedience - not just withering on the shelf waiting for Sunday morning.

The journal continues...


"Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12b).
Christians must put energy into the outworking of their sanctification in order to grow in obedience. While I want to be careful not to become morbid and too self-focused in self-evaluation, I believe this dare to love my children and add joy to our home is a way of working out - or bringing to completion - an area that I desperately need to grow in. The purpose is Christlikeness.

My Dare:
Paul encourages us to work out our "own" salvation...   
Today, I am going to seek to be who God made me to be. I am the woman God chose for Steve, the mother God chose for my children - no one else will do. I am free today. Free to be me!

Again, I will be taking a break from writing tomorrow to enjoy a day of rest, God's special gift to us. Until we come back together on Monday, I encourage you to read Philippians 3, as we will be finishing up chapter two next week and progressing in our journey for joy.



* Ann Voskamp, The Greatest Gift 

No comments:

Post a Comment